Tim is an experienced commercial litigator with specialist expertise in contentious and regulatory matters in the financial services and insurance sectors, including working for the Financial Conduct Authority on regulatory enforcement proceedings against individuals concerning the rigging of LIBOR.
In the financial services sector, Tim typically represents institutions including banks, building societies, financial adviser networks and fund managers in connection with a wide range of mis-selling, contract, negligence or other claims, as well as Ombudsman complaints. Tim conducts Financial Services Dispute and Enforcement within our Financial Services and Institutions team.
In the insurance sector, Tim is a senior member of the cross-departmental insurance team. He also has a particular interest and specialist expertise in the regulation of insurance intermediaries and brokers.
Tim’s recent key instructions include:
- Advising Lighthouse Group plc on the defence of a portfolio of claims resulting from fraudulent activities by an Appointed Representative;
- Defending Openwork Limited in a High Court group action relating to unregulated advice by Appointed Representatives in relation to overseas property;
- Advising MAPFRE on regulatory aspects of insurance distribution arrangements;
- Advising a national wealth management network on investment disputes in connection with Keydata, Arch Cru and Lehmans-backed investment vehicles.
- Advice to Incoming EEA insurers and intermediaries on regulatory requirements for distribution of travel and other general insurance products.
Tim contributed the chapter on the regulation of general insurance business in “McMeel and Virgo on Financial Advice and Financial Products- Law and Liability.”