Partner, Head of Employment
Qualifications: BA (Hons) (Oxon)
Admitted as a solicitor 1997
Partner from 2003
Roger heads up the Burges Salmon Employment law team, and has over 20 years’ experience of advising on a full range of employment law related matters for employers in both the private and public sectors.
Relevant expertise includes:
- providing support to in-house legal and HR teams in relation to major projects- recent examples include holiday pay and gender pay reporting projects
- the conduct of tribunal advocacy and also judicial mediation to resolve complex employment claims. Also advising on High Court litigation including restraint of trade and industrial action related injunctions
- advising on and managing major redundancy and restructuring exercises, including site closures and business relocations
- advising on senior executive severances (both from a company and individual perspective)
- providing guidance on internal dispute resolution procedures including grievances, regulatory compliance and fraud investigations
- advising on employment issues arising from insolvency related transactions.
Roger provides client training (to HR, legal and operational teams) and regularly speaks at external and client events. Recent topics have included diversity and respect in the workplace, TUPE, social media and data protection.
Roger is also a director of the charity At-Bristol, a local science learning centre.