Qualifications: BA (Hons) Classics
Diploma of Law
Diploma of Legal Practice (Merit)
Admitted a solicitor 1996
Partner from 2009
Tel: +44 (0) 117 902 7708
Michael joined Burges Salmon in 1994 as a trainee, and was made Partner in 2009. He works in the Environmental and Energy team and specialises in the following practice areas:
- Environmental Litigation
- Carbon Law
- Real Estate Disputes
Michael deals with both contentious and non-contentious business for a wide range of clients.
He has substantial experience of running cases in both criminal courts and civil courts to the House of Lords as well as other methods of dispute resolution including arbitration and mediation. Recent examples of work include:
- advising a multinational client on the environmental aspects of a breach of a global contract/indemnity claim
- advising a petrochemical company on a migrating pollution claim affecting a large commercial development
- advising a multinational company on the defence of a contamination claim.
- advising on judicial reviews and nuisance claims arising from a variety of hydropower projects and other schemes
- advising on the defence of environmental prosecutions
- advising on complex and high value procurement disputes
- advising DECC, Green Deal providers and others in relation to the Green Deal and ECO
- advising an international client on all aspects of environmental law including WEEE, RoHS, REACH and CRC
- advising a multinational chemical client on all aspects of environmental regulation including COMAH, asbestos and waste
Michael has been described by Chambers UK as "the real McCoy - a genuine and highly capable environmental lawyer" (2012), "fantastically talented at assessing complex legal problems" (2010) and "cool, calm, collected and in control" (2011). He is currently one of the editors of the Environmental Law Review, regularly lectures on environmental law and contributes articles to Environmental journals.