Contaminated land is an increasingly complicated area of law. Our contaminated land lawyers combine in-depth knowledge of law with contaminated land regime commercial expertise to deliver clear, strategic solutions to our clients. We have advised on the most prominent contaminated land cases to date, including the site of England's largest contaminated plume, the Brofiscin Quarry landfill in Wales and Scotland's first "special site".
Our expertise covers both transactional and regulatory matters. As well as advising on corporate and property transactions, we have successfully challenged regulatory action on behalf of businesses and individuals. We also advise clients on limiting their exposure to liability during regulatory investigations. We regularly provide our clients with strategic advice on handling brownfield proposals and help to mitigate the risk of formal clean-up action from regulators, such as the Environment Agency.
With experience working for both public and private sector clients, we approach complex matters with a detailed understanding of the client's needs and the challenges they may face.
Areas of focus
Our expertise on contaminated land regime includes the following:
- Challenging regulatory action against businesses and individuals.
- Mitigating formal clean-up actions.
- Contaminated land issues affecting corporate and real estate transactions.
- Working with regulatory bodies on policy issues.
- Advising financial institutions on lender liability for contaminated land.
- Environmental disputes.
- Insolvency and contaminated land.